Tuesday, November 17, 2009

THANK YOU, LORD!

". . .in everything give thanks. . ." I Thessalonians 5:18

This may sound like a sermon to some, but it really it is not.  Blogging is all about what's on the blogger's mind and in their heart, so here are my thoughts of late.

Being happy is so closely tied together with being thankful and "counting your blessings".  Almost every article you read -religious and secular - will tell you in order to be happy you to count your blessings daily.  Writing down what we have instead of thinking about what we don't have.  It really works!  God knew this long before there were PhD's.

I am going to try really hard from now on to be extra thankful for what I have.  Instead of just saying, "I'm thankful for my husband", I'm going to list WHY I'm thankful for my husband, i.e., he is patient beyond belief, he is kind to everyone, he is a Godly man, etc.
Thankfulness is something I struggle with daily.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not 'unthankful', but I tend to get whiny about things a lot and I need to stop NOW!  When I read the story of the Israelites leaving Egypt (Exodus), I am amazed that these people saw all the miracles they saw - water to blood, millions of frogs, parting of the Red Sea, etc.  Then, in a matter of days, they started whining about not having food and water, and not trusting that God would provide.  I have even been so bold as to say "I would never have been so unappreciative".  Yet, I do it every single day.  God has given me blessing upon blessing and I still complain about certain things in my life that really are not bad at all.  Shame on me!  


My thoughts today are just to encourage you to make a list-mental or on paper - of how God has blessed you.  Even if you are struggling right now with some terrible issue, there are things that you can thank Him for. 


Here are some of my thoughts:
1) I'm so thankful that I was able to bear children

   -healthy children











2) I'm so thankful that I was able to find a happy life again after losing a loved one.

 


3) I'm so thankful that both of my parents are still alive and healthy and that they are wonderful grandparents to my boys.


4) I'm so thankful that Ty is dating a nice Christian girl, that Tanner is so trustworthy and kind, that both boys are respectable and loving young men.   I'm thankful that Levi is a kind and loving little boy and that Noah is such a 'snuggler', and that both little ones are healthy.

5) I'm thankful that I live in America, despite it's flaws.  Where I can be free to dislike the President, worship as I chose, and have plenty compared to most countries.


I could go on, but I'll not bore you with anymore of my thankfuls.  This time of year can be hard for so many people - it can be downright depressing not being with your family or missing those who've passed away, but I encourage you to think about the good in your life, as I will try my best to do the same.


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.








3 comments:

  1. Oh-I'm gonna cry.

    What a wonderful post!

    You are exactly right-no matter what, there is always something to be thankful for!

    I am thankful to YOU-for reminding me!☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, I'm thankful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one, Rhonda. I too try to be thankful but do not always appreciate the abundant blessings all around me. I often have thought about the Israelites and wonder how they could ever whine after seeing what God did for them and yet I thought I would probably be the ringleader whiner. I once read that if you look at the whole entire world and if you have one pair of shoes, have access to transportation and have a meal a day, you are considered rich. I guess we are billionaires in the blessing department. Thanks, as Holly has said, for reminding us to stay thankful and truly count all of our blessings all of the time!!!!

    ReplyDelete