Wednesday, November 4, 2009

IT'S SEW SIMPLE


This is my kitchen window.  I took the valance down that was hanging there in the spring.  All summer, I had no curtain or valance up.  It did not really bother me, except that there is soooo much wood in my home, I felt I needed something to "soften" it.  However, I had no clue what I wanted to do with it.  I needed all the natural light, so did not want to hang anything dark, and I did not want the curtains to come down to the bottom of the window because they would be in the way.   Well, today, I could not take it anymore, so I went to my craft room and found a Chris Madden panel that I purchased at JC Penney last winter from the clearance bin for only $1.98!   It is very well made and very long - it is made for a patio door, I think.  Anyway, I decided to cut it off  and make a valance out of it.

I'm kind of happy with the end result.  I'm not much of a sewing gal at all, but this was kind of a no-brainer, so I was able to pull it off.  I got the rod on clearance at Wal-mart for $7.00 and I got the wooden leaves at my friend's (Marie) garage sale (3/$1.00).



I love getting stuff cheap and using it in my home.  Here are a couple more cheap fixes.  
This is one of my living room windows.  Again, I need all the light available and with two toddlers, I cannot have side panels because they will pull on them.  I did not sew this cool 1/2 circle.  This was originally a table cover - one of those little round end tables that you cover and put glass on top.  I got it for $3.00 last spring, cut it in 1/2, sewed it across the top and ended up with 2 curved valances.  It is tough material to sew, so I hope people don't look too closely when they come to visit!

                                          


This is my bedroom window. (Yes, those are real deer antlers).  It is hard to see this panel, but it is a dark green with ferns and leaves in a lighter color - kind of a "shadowy" effect.  It was a single panel I got at Walmart for I think $5.  I hemed it, and cut it in 1/2.  Nothing fancy, but it works for me.  I use the blind for nighttime privacy as this window looks out onto our front porch.


Thanks for looking into my windows :-).
THINK CHEAP!




THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  
The Creator has not given you a longing to do that which you have no ability to do.
Orison Swett Marden

2 comments:

  1. Your curtains are "sew" cute. I like the idea of buying a discounted panel or something and turning it into something to fit your own needs.

    Thank you for letting me peek into your house!☺

    ReplyDelete