Thursday, February 4, 2010

BACON-WRAPPED CHICKEN



Just to update you all on my menu-making/grocery-saving strategies - well, it is going well.  I actually look forward to getting the store flyers each week so I can make up my menu according to what's on special.  I see a trend, in that one week, I don't spend as much money on groceries, but seem to make up for it the next week, so I guess it is all balancing out.  However, we are eating very healthy - veggies, more whole-grains, more balanced meals, and I feel more organized because I know ahead of time what I'm making each night and I can enjoy my day (well, as much as can be enjoyed cleaning up after 2 busy toddlers and keeping track of 2 busy teenagers).

This recipe was found in a Taste of  Home magazine a long time ago.  I don't make it a lot, but after the rave reviews I got from the men in my home, I think I'll make it more often.

Here's the recipe:
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-8 oz carton of whipped cream cheese with onion and chives
1 T. butter
6 pcs. bacon

The recipe says to flatten out the breasts using a mallot or frying pan to 1/2 inch thick.  I cut mine in 1/2 length-wise, and still flatten a bit so for each full breast, I get 2 portions.  Then put 3 T. of cream cheese over the breasts.  I put about 1 T. - it is messy - I ended up using my fingers and you all know the aversion I have to touching the raw meat and the messy cream cheese. . .   anyway, I omit the butter (I wish all these cut backs could be seen on the scale, but at least I feel better doing it).  I then cut the bacon in 1/2 and after you roll up the breast, wrap the bacon around it.  My bacon only went over the top (again, think WW).  Lay the breast seam-side down, and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes (now I use a meat thermometer and mine took over an hour).  You can crisp up the bacon with the broiler the last 5 minutes or so.


The bacon keeps the breast meat moist.  Very tasty!
I hope you enjoy.


Another little tip - I made baked potatoes and instead of just cooking 5 potatoes for the 6 of us (Levi and Noah still share), I made double.  I plan to use the rest of the cooked potatoes for lunch or for another side dish later this week and now I won't have to heat the oven up again!


I love using a small baked potato cut up with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and red bell peppers over top with a touch of mozarella melted.  Great lunch!

1 comment: