Friday, April 9, 2010

CROCKPOT STACKED ENCHILADAS

My friend, Kim made these for a potluck one time and our family loved the recipe, so I added it to my list of favorites.  It is easy and great for nights your children have a ball game at 5:00 p.m. and you come home at 7 p.m. starving!  The enchiladas are waiting in the crock pot for you, and if you did the clean up right away when you put them together, you won't be doing dishes at 9 p.m.


You can find the enchilada recipe here on Recipezaar.  I use venison hamburger, which is very lean and I always use the light cream cheese.  I usually cut down on the amount of cheddar I use, but if you used the fat free cheddar, you could use more for the same amount of calories.  I usually use canned enchilada sauce, but yesterday I discovered I was completely out!  So, I googled "homemade enchilada sauce" thinking it would be a less-than-perfect substitute for the store bought stuff.  Boy was I ever wrong!  I have found a new, easy homemade sauce that we all like 100 times better.  In fact, when Ty was woofing down the remainder of what was left in the crockpot, he said, "what did you do different - these are so much better than you've ever made" (I did not have the heart to correct his English from 'different' to 'differently' - hey, a compliment is a compliment!).

The sauce is from an Emeril Lagasse recipe and it could not be easier!
Heat 3 T. oil in a pan and add 1 T. flour.  Cook for about 1 minute.
Add 1/4 cup chili powder and mix around.
Then add:  2 cups chicken broth (whisking as you add), a can of tomato paste, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. cumin and salt to taste.
Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. This sounds really yummy! We all love mexican and I love crock pot recipes, so I'll be trying this soon! I am really ready for some fresh ideas this time of year, thanks!
    : )

    ReplyDelete